1/31/2012

Interesting Read: CNN Opinion

I have had a few interesting discussions with some folks who disagree with my aversion to some of Facebook’s new timeline changes. My take was that Mark Zuckerberg is allowing his strategic partnerships and interests in financial gain to overtake his social networking platform. Their thoughts were that, it is his company, businesses are allowed to grow and that’s why our system is called “capitalism”. I completely understand their pov and agree that the opportunity for growth is a beautiful thing, however I just felt it was fair to reiterate that sometimes original goals are lost due to the volume at which money can talk.

Perusing through CNN.com this morning, I found an opinion piece that speaks to this subject and thought I would share:

 “Simply becoming a multi-billion-dollar company changes the essence of its goals, activities, and purpose. Its bloodstream becomes filled with cash, and cash has its own agenda. For just like print, TV, or the Internet, money is a medium, too. It has biases, or tendencies, programmed right into it. The kind of money we happen to use -- bank-issued central currency -- is biased toward lending. That's why we call our system "capitalism." It's about the capital: Our money is designed to favor those who lend it to others who actually use it to build companies or create value.” (this just happens to be my favorite excerpt)

No comments: